Incorrect Tax Filing: How to Amend Your Income Tax Returns | Axiom Tax Resolution Group

Mistakes happen even when filing your taxes. Don’t worry, all hope is not lost. Any mistakes you’ve committed in your tax returns can still be corrected. While tax filing season can be stressful, especially to first-time filers, fixing errors isn’t as hard as you think as long as you know the process. Let’s discuss one of the most common tax problems people face so you know what to do if you’re ever faced with a similar situation.

What Do I Need to Know?

Whatever mistakes you’ve made during your tax filing, it’s crucial that you take action as soon as you can. Some people may think that waiting for their problems to get resolved by the IRS may think it’s a good idea. On the contrary, it’s better to correct those mistakes as soon as you can. 

The longer you wait, the harder and more time-consuming it is to fix it, depending on the nature of the mistake. If the correction means you owe more taxes, the IRS can easily charge you with interest and penalties from the due date of your tax return until you pay your account in full. This is one of those mistakes that could actually cost you more money.

What to Do to Correct My Mistake?

Once you’ve realized the mistake you’ve made, you need to determine the next possible step to take. Now, that could depend on several factors. Let’s break down some potential tax problem scenarios and what actions you should take to correct your mistake.

Scenario #1: After filing your tax return with errors, you haven’t received an IRS notice

This means the IRS still hasn’t realized the mistake on your records. If the due date for filing still hasn’t passed, you just have to file another original tax return with your correct information. However, if the due date has already passed, that’s the time you need to submit an amended tax return. Now, you have to remember that amended tax returns can’t be filed electronically. Instead, you must mail it to the IRS directly.

Scenario #2: You received a notice from the IRS saying there’s incorrect information on your tax return

Believe it or not, the IRS actually gives you a chance to make a correction. They’ll usually send you a notice about the error before your tax return is fully processed. The notice should explain the issues and how to respond to the IRS. Usually, they’ll send you back the form for corrections, or you just need to reply with the correct information they need to correct the error.

The IRS made changes to your tax return, but now you have new information

If the IRS made some changes to your tax return during the process, this is an opportunity for you to send an amended tax return.

Scenario #3: If you’re not sure if you need to file a tax return, you can use the IRS return tool

The IRS has a Do I Need to File a Tax Return tool to help taxpayers determine if they need to file a federal tax return or a refund. If you’ve determined that you need to file one and haven’t received any notice to do so, go ahead and electronically file the tax return if it’s for one of the three tax years before the current tax year. If it’s for a year older than that, then you need to mail your forms to the IRS.


Those are just some of the most common scenarios where incorrect tax return filing can be resolved. There could be other scenarios out there, but what matters is you take immediate action as soon as you’ve realized there was a mistake in your filing. When it comes to your taxes, it’s always good to stay proactive and vigilant about them.

At Axiom Tax Resolution Group, we work directly with the IRS on your behalf to help solve all your tax issues. We believe that ignoring tax problems is a costly mistake. That’s exactly why our team is here to help struggling taxpayers keep up with their tax filings and resolve any issues. For tax relief solutions you can trust, go to Axiom Tax Resolution Group. Contact us today to get started!