What Happens When You File Your Taxes the Wrong Way? | Axiom Tax Resolution Group

If you make a mistake on your tax return, you must notify the IRS. You would need to file an amended return with the IRS to fix the error. If you do not remedy the error, you may face fines and interest. You can file the amended return yourself or have it prepared by an expert.

What Is the Penalty for Filing an Incorrect Tax Return?

There is no particular punishment for filing a tax return incorrectly. On the other hand, penalties may apply if you file an erroneous tax return. For example, if you have to pay more tax, you will face more significant penalties due to the rise in tax. However, no penalties will be connected with your amended return if your error resulted in less tax.

Will The IRS Catch It If I Have Made A Mistake?

The IRS will most likely catch your mistakes. The IRS utilizes computer systems to automatically detect errors made on tax returns. The IRS has the right to correct any errors they find. The IRS will send you a letter detailing the error if you’ve made one. The letter will also state how much more you owe or how much you can get back.

If you have received a letter from the IRS and are unsure of what to do, you can consider hiring a tax professional to help you sort through the problem. A tax professional will be able to help you decide whether you should amend, pay the amount stated, or if you should appeal.

Is It Possible to Go to Jail For Filing Taxes Incorrectly?

You won’t go to jail for making a mistake or filing an erroneous tax return. However, if your taxes are inaccurate on purpose and you purposely leave out goods that should be included, the IRS may see your actions as fraudulent and file a criminal complaint against you. The intent is what decides whether or not a criminal activity is performed. It is not illegal if you merely make a mistake and take measures to remedy it.

Can the IRS Fix My Filing Error?

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) may be able to correct the error for you. Most of the time, you’ll want to correct your own errors. But, every now and again, it can make sense to delegate the task to the IRS. The IRS will rectify any math mistakes and may even calculate a payment for you (bringing a total from a schedule that you forgot to bring forward). These are the types of relatively minor errors that you can easily let the IRS remedy for you. If the IRS does make a correction, you will get a notice describing the change and directing you on what measures, if any, you must take.

What Should I Do About Filing Errors?

If the IRS does not correct your error, or if it is a significant error, or if you omitted to record something crucial (such as your marital status), you will want to take action immediately. This is accomplished by modifying your previously filed tax return with a federal form 1040X, Amended United States Individual Income Tax Return. Form 1040X can be used to rectify a previously filed form 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ, 1040NR, 1040NR-EZ, or to modify amounts already adjusted by the IRS.


Filing your taxes can be difficult. There are a lot of numbers to keep in mind, and if you have not had experience filing your taxes before, then you may feel at a bit of a disadvantage. The IRS does its best to make the process as simple as possible, but that still does not mean it will go smoothly.

If you have any questions or feel like you have made an error on your return, make sure you do not wait to get the help you need to resolve the problem. If you make an error, it is better to be safe than sorry, so do not delay in contacting a professional.

Axiom Tax Resolution Group is a company that offers reliable tax relief solutions in Birmingham, AL. When you need assistance in deciphering IRS notices or need IRS debt relief, we are the people for you. Schedule a consultation today!